Search

Central Australian Aviation Museum

Tourists inspecting an aircraft at the Central Australian Aviation MuseumEJ (Eddie) Connellan, a pioneer of aviation in the Northern Territory, established Alice Springs' first aerodrome on the current Precinct site in 1939. The original hangar, associated buildings and the Connellan family homestead remain a part of the Precinct.

The use of aircraft to deliver mail and supplies was a major factor in opening up the Territory. Connellan airways operated aircraft for the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

The Aviation Museum is located in the original Connellan Airways Hangar and houses two early flying doctor planes among other historic aircraft and aviation memorabilia.

 

 

Kookaburra Memorial

The Kookaburra Memorial is dedicated to the memory of Keith Anderson and Bob Hitchcock who perished after their aircraft, the "Kookaburra", made a forced landing in the Tanami Desert on the 10th April 1929 while searching for Charles Kingsford Smith and Charles Ulm. Found fourteen days later, the wreck was abandoned until 1978 when it was recovered by aviator and adventurer Dick Smith. The Kookaburra remains were displayed in the Memorial in 1982.

 

 

Central Australian Aviation Museum
PO Box 3521 ALICE SPRINGS NT 0871
Telephone: (08) 8953 8776
Fax: (08) 8952 4241